- About Wuxi
The Wuxi County was founded in the West Han Dynasty, and the county was divided into inner city with one city gate and outer city with 4 front gates, which were named the east gate of Xi Chun Gate, the south gate of Yang Chun Gate, the north gate of Liangxi Gate and Lianrong Gate. At the end of Tang Dynasty, Yang Xingmi became King of the Wu and opened 3 side gates namely the Guqiao Gate (beside where is now called the Xinglong Bridge of the Lengdu Port in Yangyao Bay), Xintang Gate (east to where is now called Dingsheng Bridge) and Dongjia Gate (in the place where is now called Hetouxiang with the old name of Dongjiaxiang). As a result, Wuxi has 4 front gates, 3 side gates and 1 inner gate. Zhang Shicheng occupied Wuxi in 1357, destroyed 3 side gates and only 4 front gates existed and opened 3 water gates. And the inner gate was destroyed. In 1554, Wang Qiqin renamed the east gate of Jianghai Gate, west gate of Wanghu Gate, south gate of the Shiquan Gate and north gate of the Kongjiang Gate. In April of 1912, Guangfu Gate in northeast of Wuxi (beside where is now called Hongxing Theater, from Yuantong Road to East Jiefang Road) was opened in memorization of Revolutionary of 1911. The Guangfu Gate was also called New North Gate and the original north gate was called Old North Gate. In 1924, an east water gate was opened in the East Gate. The New West Gate was opened in 1928. As a result, Wuxi has 6 city gates and 4 water gates. In October 1950, Kongjiang Gate was renamed as Shengli Gate. City walls were removed in 1950, and the bricks were used to build the Wuxi’s Great Hall of the People. Some names of the city gates still existed as place names.