- About Wuxi
The recorded history of Wuxi, one of Jiangnan civilization origins, can be traced back to the end of the Shang Dynasty (1600 BC – 1046 BC), over 3000 years ago. At the end of 11BC, in order to give authority to the youngest brother Jili, Taibo, the oldest son of King Zhoutai, took his younger brother, Zhongyong, from Qishan in the west to Jiangnan in the east and stayed in Meili (currently known as Meicun Residential Street in Wuxi). They built walls and founded a state named “Gouwu”. After Zhou defeated Shang, King Zhouwu awarded Zhou Zhang, great-great-grandson of Zhongyong, as King of Wu and founded the State of Wu. In 473BC, Yue defeated Wu and Wuxi was affiliated to Yue. In 334BC, Chu defeated Yue and Wuxi was affiliated to Chu. In 223BC, Qin defeated Chu, made Ji the capital and Wuxi was affiliated to it.
In 202BC, Wuxi County was established and affiliated to Ji. In 9 AD, it was renamed as Youxi County and in 25 AD it was changed back to Wuxi County. In the Three Kingdoms period, the west of Wuxi County was made farmland and the official was appointed to be in charge of it. In 280 AD, it was recovered to Wuxi County and affiliated to Pilin. This system was followed in Sui, Tang and Song Dynasties. In 1295, Wuxi County was lifted to Wuxi City. In 1368, Wuxi was fallen to Wuxi County. In 1724, Wuxi was divided into Wuxi and Jingui Counties and governed together by Changzhou. In 1911, after the Qing dynasty was overthrown, the Xijin Military Government was founded in the original Jingui County and governed by Wuxi and Jingui Counties. In May, 1911, the Xijin Military Government was withdrawn. In 1912, the Wuxi and Jingui Counties were merged as Wuxi County and affiliated to the Suchang. In 1927, Wuxi County was directly affiliated to the Jiangsu Province. From 1934 to 1937, Wuxi County was a government site for commissioners of the Wuxi administrative inspection area. During the Anti-Japanese War, anti-Japanese democratic authorities such as Xibei, Xidong, Taihu, Wunan and Chengxi were founded in four towns of Wuxi.
Wuxi was liberated on April 23, 1949 and was divided into Wuxi City and Wuxi County. Wuxi City was affiliated to the Sunan people’s administrative government offices. In 1953, Jiangsu Province was founded and Wuxi was a provincial city. Wuxi County was affiliated to many regions such as Changzhou area, Wuxi City and Suzhou area. In June, 1958, 4-district layout was basically formed in Wuxi City, namely Chong’an District, Nanchang District, Beitang District and one suburb. In March, 1983, city-govern-county system was adopted and Wuxi County as well as Jiangyin County affiliated to Suzhou and Yixing County affiliated to Zhengjiang were governed by Wuxi City. In 1988, Mashan Town including Mawei region was set up as Mashan District. After the State Council decided to replace counties with cities, Jiangyin County, Yixing County and Wuxi County was changed into Jiangyin City, Yixing City and Xishan City respectively in April of 1987, March of 1988 and June of 1995. In March 1995, the administrative regions in Wuxi City and Wuxi County were partly adjusted and Wuxi New District, which was made up of Wangzhuang Town in suburb, 19 administrative villages such as Shuofang, Fangqian, Xin’an and Meicun together with the National Hi-Tech Development Zone and Wuxi Singapore Industrial Park in Wuxi, was founded. In December, 2000, Xishan City was withdrawn and Xishan District as well as Huishan District was set up. Administrative regions in Mashan District and 9 towns in Xishan City were merged into the suburb of Wuxi which was renamed Binhu District.